Foods to keep in your home
by Virgin Active Thailand on Tuesday 10 May 2022
5 min read
Most of the time, people don’t see any results from exercise because of their bad discipline with what they eat and not choosing what they eat more carefully. It’s time to throw out useless foods out of your kitchen and fridge and stock up with the following from our list here.
1. Cinnamon powder: It’s an herb that the exercising circuit doesn’t mention so much because of its particular taste and aroma unlike any other. But research has found that cinnamon powder is a crucial ingredient that gets our cells to use sugar as energy more efficiently, while also helps to reduce chances of getting diabetes. Normally, we use it to make Palo soup, but sprinkling a bit over your tea for a slight sweet taste or over oat porridges also taste good.
2. Broccoli and vegetables from the cabbage family such as cauliflower: These veggies are rich with anti-oxidants, which are good for keeping cancer cells at bay. Best to have them stir-fried or drop a bit of olive oil on them and bake at medium heat for a soft texture that’s just as tasty.
3. Sweet potato: Not only is it low in carbs and offers a lot of energy for active exercisers, the sweet potato is also packed with many good nutrients. But if you don’t like it, you can choose to eat carrots or other yellow/orange fruits instead, such as papaya and mango. All of these options are packed with vitamins such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C and calcium. It also has beta-carotene, which helps protect skin cells and you eyes, as well as reducing inflammation and improving immunity.
4. Blueberries: Tiny but efficient. This fruit is small but is packed with high supplies of the anti-oxidant anthocyanin. This helps with protecting cells and genes from getting destroyed. It is also discovered that anthocyanin contributes to cancer prevention, as well as embolism prevention. Eat them as a snack or as toppings for yogurt is a good idea too.
5. Bananas: Every household should have this. It’s easy to eat and convenient to carry around. It has fibers and gives adequate energy for those who work out. Most importantly, it has potassium, which is a nutrient that helps with our muscles and also restores the balance of minerals in our bodies.
6. Oats: This is what every kitchen should be stocked with. Its fibers are water-soluble and that helps to reduce and slow down our body’s absorption of cholesterol. It also prevents coronary artery diseases and offers enough energy before you go to exercise.
7. Jasmine brown rice: That brown colour you see on rice is filled with anthocyanin anti-oxidants like those found in blueberries. It is also rich in fibers which greatly help reduce inflammation and blockages in blood vessels.
8. Avocado: This is another fruit that’s great for exercisers because it is packed with good fats. It has folate too, which helps with preventing heart diseases and heart attacks. Simply slice them up for salads or crush them and spread them over your toast instead of using butter for a nutrient-rich breakfast.
9. Yogurt with prebiotic or microorganisms: This is good for your intestines as it helps your food to get digested and absorbed by your body better. Besides that, there is also calcium and protein which helps with keeping your body structure strong. Choose natural yogurts that have a higher protein content or go with Greek yogurts altogether.
10. Peanuts, cashews, almonds, walnuts, pistachios: All of these nuts have Vitamin E, Magnesium, protein and fibers that help with reducing acid, bad fats, LDL and the inflammation of blood vessels. There are also nutrients that help with the metabolic system and muscles. They can be easily eaten as boiled nuts; roasted and sprinkled over your somtam; plainly as a snack or even as a peanut butter spread for your toast.
You’ll see that all the food on this list is very common and not hard to find at all. It’s something every kitchen and fridge should have, so you can mix and match, or grab it at a moment’s notice for a little something extra to your main meal. This is all it takes for the good health and body that we all seek!
3 min read
7 healthy fats you should eat more of
4 min read
Virgin Active online workouts
5 min read
Enjoying our blog?
Sign up to our newsletter to get updates on training, healthy living, news and events.